Dec 1, 2009

Holiday Stuff

Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, it's time for me to bust out the Christmas cheer! My family hasn't really kept up with many family traditions; between living in Thailand, Grandma passing away (dad's mom), and cousins who live out-of-state, I've always had a rather low-key holiday season. My dad was never a Clark Griswold, my mom believed making Thai curry was a good enough holiday dish, and we never went crazy with the Christmas decorations.

Well, folks, now that I am old enough where I have my own place and a job, I'm going to change things!

First of all, since my job owns my life, I ended up having to work on Thanksgiving. No biggie. Vinny and I went to Athens the weekend prior to Thanksgiving and spent two nights with my parents. It was awesome. My best friends Jackie and Chelsea came over for brunch, where we got to catch up on our lives. I miss them so much and wish we could see each other more.
brunch :)

Then, my parents went all out and cooked us a feast-- on both nights! Our first night was more casual, with a beef roast and veggies. Then mom busted out the egg roll making, where Vinny rolled his first egg roll! Then Night #2, they cooked us a huge Thanksgiving feast. Left overs? Yea, still have 'em in my fridge.

yum
turkey

We then got out the good ol' fake Risner tree and put it together, strung the lights, then hung up the bajillion ornaments. Maddie got in on some of the action, too.
ho ho ho
lights!
trimmed tree

I wish we did the whole tree farm thing, where we would go cut one down. But my parents are way too lazy for that crap.

While in Athens, Vinny and I decided to buy a fake tree as well. We went for the pre-lit one, which was totally worth it! This weekend we finally decorated it, and it looks wonderful!
all lit up!

Of course, it would look a lot more wonderful if we weren't idiots and realized that when we bought our star, it doesn't light up. Dammit. It really bums me out but I'm going to suck it up and leave it alone. It's still a pretty star. I just don't want to waste money buying a new one, so maybe I'll leave that up to next year. We had a great time decorating, and watched Home Alone while doing it :) We even bought a couple of cute snowmen decorations and I painted our names on stockings!

It would've been awesome if the two of us could have bought a real tree, but I think we'll hold off on that until we have a real house. Our apartment has really annoying stairs, and I just couldn't see the two of us hauling a 6 foot spruce up the damn steps. Plus, it's kind of nice not watching a tree die in your living room.

Now, my next mission is to purchase the leg lamp ornament from the movie A Christmas Story. I want the tackiness!

And now, behold, our gourd ornament that we bought from Pumpkin Show, in action!

gourd ornament in action

So, while I may have the shittiest work hours possible, and my family doesn't go balls to the wall with Christmas, I'm taking matters into my own hands to make my own traditions happen. I hope Vinny's ready, because when we have a house, I am going to go ape shit the Christmas lights and decorations. Bwahahaha....

0 comments: