Oct 21, 2008

An unofficial book club update; plus, missing booze & football!

October 21, 2008



I don’t have anything incredibly new to update, but I wanted to share something that is, at the moment, keeping me calm and sane. As some of you may be aware, I got myself into a huge book binge since this summer. I think I’ve read about 15 books since I started traveling to/from Thailand, and I’ve been on a roll ever since. Well, since training has started, my reading pace has dropped immensely. Instead of pounding out 2 books per week, I’m sluggishly rolling out 10 pages per day. It is quite sad, but once my head hits the pillow, there is no hope for us all.

So does she have a point, you ask? I guess I sort of do. I’m currently reading a great memoir right now called Queen of the Road by Doreen Orion. This book is “the true tale of 47 states, 22,000 miles, 200 shoes, 2 cats, 1 poodle, a husband, and a bus with a will of its own.” Doreen and her husband set out to live on a converted bus for a year while traveling around the great U.S.A. It is definitely an experience to read about, and it’s something I’d love to do. Anyways, if you have the time, or if you’re like me and you’re tired of reading flight coordinator training manuals, then pick this up! (Plus, Doreen is really awesome and wrote on my facebook wall... WOOO!!)

On another note that is somewhat related to work, I won a contest at NetJets! As employees, we get the opportunity to enter into random weekly drawings for prizes such as OSU football tickets, hockey tickets, theater/concert tickets, etc. There was a random drawing to win a spot in the NetJets tailgate tent (for the upcoming OSU v. Penn State game) and I won (along with two other trainees!)!

So, what do I end up doing? Well, a normal person would take that opportunity and go, because what are the odds of ever winning something again? I, on the other hand, am my own worst enemy, and already promised my parents I’d come visit them in Athens this weekend. Looks like while everyone is getting free drinks and food from Uncle Warren, I’ll be sitting at my parents’ house, petting my cat, and praying to god my mom will make egg rolls.

Have fun on College Football Saturday, everyone! (And this is the part where I miss college and having a social life).

You can purchase Queen of the Road HERE.

2 comments:

Barrie said...

Hope you got those egg rolls!

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Oh hiya Amy! We are now facehell friends!!! COOL! I am getting the hang of it. I'm too old for this stuff I'm afraid! : )

Thanks for looking me up!

Do you know if Jen Lancaster is on FaceBook?