Oct 14, 2008

October Ovation

A blog roundup, brought to you by Barrie Summy. (refer to this post for information)

Thanks to Barrie Summy for this wonderful concept where all of us bloggers can write about the same topic on the same day. We’ve all been asked whom we admire the most, and a few people popped into my head. Yet, the one person who stands above the rest is my Thai grandmother. Here is my story.

Like any other grandparent, she was always incredibly selfless and always put her children and grandchildren first. She was also incredibly giving to the community. She donated so much of her time to volunteer with the Thai military and red cross, she became recognized by the Thai Royal Family. My grandparents’ house was filled with photos of my grandmother accepting awards from the King, Queen, and the various princesses of the Kingdom of Thailand.

Other than her involvement with the country, she devoted so much of her time and energy into her family. When my mother was little, my grandmother would drive my mother to piano lessons and sit outside the room and wait for hours until lessons were done. She would shell out extra cash so her three children could receive tutoring lessons after school so they could grow up and get into the best schools. And when I was born and lived in Thailand, she did the same for me.

You notice that I said she drove. Yes, you see, in Thailand, it is customary (if you have money) to have a chauffeur. But my grandmother loved to drive. She would always drive herself and her children wherever they wanted to go. Driving in downtown Bangkok is quite possibly the most tedious thing a person could do. You know the stereotype of Asians who drive like crazy people? Always zig-zagging through 3 lanes at once and not looking out their mirrors? Yea, that’s how it is in Thailand. And to have learned that my grandmother actually LIKED to drive really blows my mind. Just recently my mom told me that my grandmother secretly wanted to be a NASCAR driver. Now THERE’S a good laugh : )

My grandmother is the one person who I had always been closest to, in my entire life, even more than my parents. When I first moved to Thailand, my parents left me with my grandparents while they returned to the United States to pack up our belongings. I spent many months, sleeping with my grandmother. We did everything together.

I remember the day she died. I was playing with a Barbie doll at the foot of her bed. She was getting all dressed up to go to a huge award banquet in her honor. This was our last conversation, and I remember it so vividly:

A 5 year-old Amy: Grandma, which dress do you like for Barbie to wear?
Grandma: (points to the red sparkly one) I like this one.

I know this isn’t much of a conversation, but I remember the images and words so perfectly. (of course, the words were in Thai, but you get the idea)

She said goodbye to everyone at home then went to her banquet. Hours later we received a call that she had a brain aneurysm. She spent a couple of days on life support at the hospital. She woke up once in a while, and I would speak to her on the phone, although she was unable to speak back because of all the tubes in her throat. I can remember hearing her crying, though, and it still breaks my heart. She was only 59 when she died.

I still have that Barbie’s dress.

I apologize for such a depressing Ovation, but out of all the people in this world, she really deserves it.


A boyish and chubby little me with grandma & grandpa (who is still alive and healthy!!)

Barrie, thanks for this opportunity to let us all share our ovations. I’m really looking forward to reading everyone else’s!

To everyone who has read this: Please visit Barrie Summy’s blog and Larramie’s Seize a Daisy. There you will find their personal October Ovations, as well as links to other various blogs which feature more Ovations.

9 comments:

debra said...

Your Grandmother had such an impact on you. I'm glad you've shared your fond memories.

Patti said...

grandmothers have our hearts. no doubt...

pattinase (abbott) said...

A lovely piece. Thanks for sharing it.

Gabriele Goldstone said...

Proof that even Barbie dolls shouldn't be judged. Thanks for sharing about your grandmother.

Barrie said...

What a heartwarming post, Amy. And I love the photo. Thank you for sharing.

Shari Green said...

How sad that she passed away so young. I'm glad you've got such strong memories of her. (And how fun to picture her driving NASCAR!)

Amy said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments, everyone :) I just got home from work so now I'm going to curl up on the couch and read everyone's Ovations :)

Larramie said...

Even as a 5-year old, you felt and knew the significance of your grandmother's love...that's lived in your heart and will forever.

Jason said...

Grandparents really help shape our childhoods, don't they? And yours sounds awesomely fiesty -- a NASCAR driver? That is probably the coolest grandmother ever!

She sounds like a really special lady, and I'm glad that you still remember her so fondly.