You know what I hate? Technology. You know what I love? Technology.
This love/hate relationship dawned on me when I was looking for my old Thailand pictures. Oh, that's right, my old laptop that contained all those pictures CRASHED. And of course, the hard drive was completely fried and the files were unsalvageable. Go figure. I really wanted to post some of those past photos. Luckily, my wonderful BFF Jackie posted some on facebook, and I took them from her :) Yay for technology!
So the moral of this post is: back up your files! You don't want to be in my boat when your computer finally crashes. Believe me.. it will eventually, especially if you have a PC. Not only did I lose those Thailand pictures, but I also lost ALL of my pictures from Freshman year. This is actually quite sad. I lost all my pictures from when I rushed and pledged a sorority, pictures from partying in the dorms and never getting caught, and past vacation pictures with my cousins and friends. I'll never get these documented memories back, and knowing how super my brain is, I'll eventually forget some of them :(
Until the time comes when I actually get to hop on a plane and travel somewhere, I've been living vicariously through other people's travel blogs and photos. I like building up the excitement, but it's also getting kind of annoying. I guess it doesn't hurt to go ahead and post my old trips here-- afterall, they're rather recent (and by recent I mean within the past few years of college because I don't have THAT much money to travel all the time!)
Here's a little background information before I begin posting some pictures from my last visit to Thailand in 2004. I lived in Bangkok, Thailand from when I was in kindergarten to 3rd grade. I lived right in the city. We lived with my mother's parents,her sister, & her husband, as well as had a two maids (one of which was my nanny), a cook, and a chauffeur. Thai families are very close, and even once they are married, they all still live under the same roof, or right across the street from each other. Everybody is always in everybody's business. You don't really go and hang out with friends outside of school hours, but family is ALWAYS around. I grew up with my younger cousins because we pretty much lived together. Ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding? Thai families are much like the Greek families portrayed in that movie. All immediate aunts, uncles, and cousins see each other atleast a couple times a week. In the USA, most of our families are scattered and we only see each other during the holidays. Not in Thailand.
Since living there I have visited many times. I think I'm over the 15 mark as to how many times I've visited Thailand in my life time (and I'm only 22). I've really taken it for granted. So many people wish they could go there, and I've been there so many times it practically bores me. Yet, there are soooooo many things that I love about Thailand: the people, the food, the beaches, the temples, the shopping, my family, and the huge leap in technology they have made.
But there is one thing that I have never done in Bangkok, and that is experiencing the night life.
Ok, so I've actually never really been old enough, and the last time I visited I was 19. When I went in 2004, I was able to bring friends for the first time: Jackie and Charlie. We visited Bangsean Beach and Pattaya Beach a couple of times, and we were able to go out and have a good time and see the night life. But oh my god did it worry my parents! My mother and my Thai family still believe that if you are female, and you go out at night in Thailand, you WILL get abducted, and then they will sell your body for prostitution and brain wash you, and then you get AIDS and die. I understand their concern, but keeping me sheltered isn't going to help. But you know something? I don't really have the desire to go experience the Bangkok night life. I am perfectly content with shopping in the outdoor markets, eating great street food, and sipping on a cold Singha beer on the beach. I don't really care to go out at night in Bangkok and watch all the Farang (that's the Thai term for white Caucasian tourists) hit (unknowingly) on Thai transvestites. Going out at night at the beaches is really fun, though. That I definitely reccommend. Just don't accidentally go into a gay club, because they WILL want to dance for you!
Seeing poverty is also a huge thing that worries me when people visit. You could have a beautiful mansion built right beside a rusted old hut. They have sky trains and large highways, but many are left unfinished due to budget cuts. The economy is awful. Tourism is the only means of national income. You are either born into a family that must be self entrepreneurs and find your own income/food, or you are born into a family that has money and are given a good education. Having maids and chaueffers doesn't mean that you're a millionnaire. It just means that you are educated and have a good job. That is just how the culture is. It's reality.
Also, I encourage you to visit sometime. Just please do your research before you go. It's a total culture shock, and the last thing you want to do is offend the Thai people. They have some very quirky beliefs and superstitions. I don't even think I can list them all. If you ever decide you want to go with me, here are a few things that you should know about me and Thailand:
1. I do NOT do the "backpacking" thing. What the hell is that anyways? Why would I even consider paying for a shitty hostel, and carry a napsack around? That is just screaming "TOURIST" and "Hey! Over here! Come rip me off and steal my money!"
2. I've seen almost everything the city has to offer. I enjoy seeing the cultural things still, so I'm willing to go to the typical tourist places, such as the Grand Palace and the temples, but don't expect me to want to take a "road trip" to Combodia or something stupid like that. First of all, a "road trip" with Thai transportation would mean you are either cramped on a smelly 1980's van filled with people who can't speak English OR Thai, or you are sitting on the back of a truck bed. Sorry, I don't feel like getting mugged or contracting dysentary.
3. Be ready to go to the beach--ALOT. I love the beaches there. They're only 2-3 hours away (depending on traffic). My uncle also owns a condo complex right on the beach, so staying there is free :)
4. Basically, you will not be playing tourist. You will be living with a Thai family and getting around town the way we get around town (i.e: being chauffered around or hailing for taxis or tuk-tuks). We'll be taking you to the best restaurants and places to see and shop. We will not be going to sleezy bars and clubs.
OK, with all this being said, enjoy some photos :)

Charlie and I goofing around at the Minneapolis Airport on our way to Thailand

the beautiful beach of Pattaya

playing tourist and visiting Wat Prah Kao (a temple)

a little random shack in the middle of a field by the huge hotel we stayed in. We actually saw a man coming home to it! Then it rained and we felt bad :(

Jackie and I in a gay club! hahaha

0 comments:
Post a Comment