
Ohio may not be the most exciting state, but when you see people obsess over expensive handwoven baskets, well, that's gotta strike your attention.
Or if you see an office building in the shape of a basket.
I've been exposed to the Longaberger frenzy ever since I was little. My best friend's mom took us to one of their huge events, and I never quite understood why anyone would obsess over a freakin' basket.
Until I got older...
And let me tell you, those baskets are to die for!
The Longaberger company is located near Newark, OH. More specifically, its factory center and shopping facilities are in a smaller town called Frazeysburg. Thousands of people will travel from across the country just to see this place. Bus loads of tour groups flood through the Longaberger Homestead just for some baskets!
I am guilty for this as well. Today I went to Longaberger to make a basket. For $67 (which is ludicrously cheap for a Longaberger product) I was able to handweave a basket (under the instruction of a Longaberger technician) and sign my name under it. I had such a great time! Vinny was a very good sport and stood beside me during the hour it took me to make the basket. I don't know what was more painful for him: to wait for me to finally pick out which color strips I want on the basket, or the fact that he was in a basket factory in general.
This is the second basket I've made at Longaberger, and I can't wait to make more! I think I'll make it a yearly tradition ;) Here are some pictures from my little adventure.



Dec 13, 2009
Longaberger
Posted by
Amy
at
8:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Wonderfully fun basket. Also, a great start to your blog. Keep up the great work. Pop over to my garden. I've been at it since mid-summer. It will be challenging at times, but stick with it. You will find such joy and sooooooooo many new friends from all parts of the world.
The Garden Bell - Kate
Thanks for popping over to my blog. Hang in there with the crochet thing. I taught myself last winter with youtube as well. You will get there, but a class will be fun too.
If you haven't found Lucy in the Attic 24 yet, pay her a visit. She is my favorite and has some wonderful beginner tutorials to play with. She is also a charming blog to read daily for life's inspirations and has quite the following. But, we are all nervous as she is due with her third "little people" any day.
www.attic24.typepad.com
Stop back by my garden anytime.
That is awesome! Now I want to make a basket--and that basket building...unbelievable!!
Post a Comment