Aug 23, 2009

Summer Reading

I've been a bad book nerd lately. I haven't been reading as often as I normally do. I blame this on work swallowing my soul. But,I'm not here to bitch about work (because I'm thankful to have a job!!!!), instead I'm here to bitch about a book that I am ashamed to even say that I own.

LA Candy by Lauren Conrad was one of the first books where I immediately had to stop reading and force myself to forget the contents I read. Never have I ever felt so stupid after reading a chapter of something. I know, I know, I shouldn't have trusted purchasing a book from a reality TV star who was offered a 3-part book deal. I fear how she's even able to write two more books. I love Lauren's show, but I really hope that if her fashion career ever comes to an end, she doesn't fall back to writing, because she SUCKS at it. I've written better than her when I was in middle school. I shudder just thinking about her use of adjectives and lack of vocabulary.

This summer I haven't nearly read as many books as last summer (I ended up reading about 15 books last summer). I just recently finished Pretty in Plaid by Jen Lancaster (her 4th memoir), and I really suggest you go out and buy her books! Bitter is the New Black is the first of her memoir-series. Her witty sarcasm and bitterness is right up my alley!

I am currently reading Kisscut by Karin Slaughter (LOVE the name). This is the second book in her 'Grant County' mystery-thriller series. If you like forensic/medical science mysteries, then I'd give Karin's books a chance. She does wonderfully with character development and doesn't drag on uncesseary bullshit for chapters on end (coughHarryPotter#6cough).

I also just downloaded a book sample on my Kindle which I am going to read soon and see if it's worth purchasing the whole book. I downloaded Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. This is the first book in her vampire novel series featuring Sookie Stackhouse (the HBO series True Blood is based on these books--never seen the show though). I hear it's similar to Twilight, so I'm going to give it a go. I'll let you all know how I like it!

On another note, I fly back to Ohio tomorrow, which means that my family vacation is officially over :( I am so sad to be leaving my cousins. They are going to come visit me in October, though, so there's still something to look forward to :)

1 comments:

Sean said...

I feel your pain. LA Candy made me want to advocate book burning. And then once it was on fire, throw it at Lauren Conrad.