Can I just say? I am the worst at road trips. I bitch, I whine, I have to pee too much. I'm not not very talkative and I nap a lot, forcing the driver to have an even more boring ride. This is why I tip my hat to Orville and Wilbur Wright for inventing the aircraft. Thank you, air travel!
But, I think I did pretty well this weekend!
Vinny and I drove up to Niagara Falls this weekend (6 hour drive + 1 hour of unnecessary wait time in line for customs at the border) to check out the falls and gamble. Let's just say that even though we won pretty decent amounts of money, we lost it all as well. Hey, what can I say? It happens. Slot machines are my best friend and worst enemy. The lights and sounds are way too addicting to stop.
Other than spending our nights at the casinos, we did the typical touristy stuff like ride the Maid of the Mist (cool experience, but never again! I don't like being crammed on a tiny boat with tons of people covered in shrink wrap, a.k.a ponchos. I get weird claustrophobia once in a while). Vinny took some beautiful pics of the falls with my digital SLR during the night when the falls were lit up. I think this pic he took can seriously go in a tourism magazine:
I had a really great time up there despite the fact that our stay was limited. (Work ruins all the fun). I would suggest that if you go for the first time, bring lots and lots of money (cash! Cards are fine, too, but you'll want to exchange US dollars to Canadian when tipping the hotel staff, etc. ATM's charge stupid fees.). Even if you're not going to gamble (if you do, bring a few hundred bucks to lose), you should take into account the expensive food (this is like Disney prices!) and expensive attractions. There are also lots of hidden fees in your hotel room, so inquire about those before making your reservation. Also? Don't move your car after you've parked it at the hotel. It is a bitch to drive around the main strip. Everything is in walking distance so bring comfy shoes.
Oh yea, and if you're going to go on the Maid of the Mist, don't bother putting on make up... it runs right off! And wear sandals. You don't want to walk around with soggy sneakers all day. They give you complimentary ponchos, but those only go so far...
Here are some more pics from our little weekend getaway.










"I can has doritos??" Very bad dog!
More on my flickr page.
Aug 4, 2009
The Falls
Posted by
Amy
at
8:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I rode the Maid of the Mist last summer. This post brought back memories!
good to see you guys had a good time in Canada, eh?
yeah, having a casino by a humungous falls is awesome since if you lose it all your watery grave is only a few strides away!
hahah, i like your comment about the sardine fest that is Maid of the Mist :P
I just popped back to look at the Niagara Falls shots again. I'm so homesick...
Post a Comment