On Sunday, Vinny and I took a little trip up to Yellow Springs, OH. We camped at John Bryan State Park, which happens to be near where Vinny grew up.
The day started off a bit rocky, because I had to drop my car off at the Volkswagen dealership to get my airconditioning fixed and oil changed. My a/c decided to crap out on me and stopped blowing cold air. Thanks, VW, for putting faulty parts in my car.
Afterward we crammed as much camping gear into Vinny's car as possible and swung by his parents' house to say hello. Later on we decided to go 'check-in' to our camp site before getting some groceries, but once we got there the park office was closed, and someone with a freaking camper took our camp site (we got a spot with an electric hook-up). Not that the hook-up was necessary since we didn't come bearing anything that needed electricity, we were still PO'd that some dipshit decided to take our spot without paying for it. Unfortunately, we couldn't see anyone in the camper at the time, so we decided to just screw it all and we took a vacant camp site down the road. Problem solved. Thanks, a-holes.
By the time we picked out our new camp site, Chelsea and Brandon showed up and we unpacked the car and pitched the tent. We spent the rest of our evening just hanging out at the camp fire, roasting hot dogs, making smores, yelling at a fat racoon to leave us alone, and bitching about how disgusting the bathrooms were. (Seriously? I peed behind our tent when it got dark because their restrooms were just so filthy and smelly beyond all reason. I've smelled rotten eggs that smelled better than those bathrooms).
As it got later in the night, Chelsea and Brandon sadly had to leave. Vinny and I snuggled up in our baller two-room tent with Maddie, but we froze our asses off because the temperature dropped to around 50F degrees that night. Brrrr. It's a good thing I packed as many blankets as I did, although next time I'm packing more! Fuck roughing it, I don't want to get sick!
The next morning we were woken up to F-16's taking off nearby, so we left our camp site and went in town to Yellow Springs (Fun fact: it's the home of Dave Chappelle, who still resides there. Didn't see him though.. bummer!). We grabbed some breakfast at the Sunrise Cafe and browsed the local shops. It's a really cute, charming town that happens to remind me of my hometown, Athens, but without the large college. It's got that "hippy" flare to it, which I miss about being at home.
After stuffing ourselves with eggs, bacon, potatoes, and toast, we stopped by Young's Dairy for some ice cream. We also walked around the area and played with the goats.
Due to the chaos of trying to leave town on Sunday, I sadly forgot my camera. Chelsea took some while we went camping, so once I can get them from her, I'll add them to this post. I ended up taking some pics with my iPhone the next day at Yellow Springs, so below is a random photo montage of our trip. The whole album can be viewed at my Flickr page.
Breakfast at Sunrise Cafe:

The cutest toy store ever:

Young's Dairy:



Milk... does a body good
Jul 21, 2009
Yellow Springs
Posted by
Amy
at
12:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment