
I just got back from a great trip with X! We spent our Easter weekend in Put in Bay, which is located on South Bass Island in Lake Erie. It’s a small quaint town known for its fishing, famous historical restaurants, and bars. Oh bars. It’s really a spring break haven for non-college people.
I’m not really going to get into much detail about the trip, but here is a Cliffs Notes version:
• Day 1: X and I make it on the ferry to head over to the island. We soon met up with my good friend from college, Cory, who works up there during the summer.
• Cory treats us to many many beers and shots.
• We are smashed before 6pm.
• Day 2: The island is a ghost town because everyone is gone for Easter Sunday. X and I enjoy a quiet day strolling the island and taking pictures with my super awesome Canon Digital Rebel XSi camera.
• Day 3: X and I must head home, and the only way to get off the island is to put our car back on the ferry to get back to the mainland. Winds were insanely gusty and created huge waves on the lake. You could see white tips on the crest of the waves.
• I end up feeling like major balls from the constant rocking of the boat.
• X has a blast and wishes the boat ride lasted longer.
• I sulk the entire 3 hour drive home because I have a headache. Womp womp.
It was incredibly great to get away from Columbus. To be honest, I really don’t like the city that I currently live in. Columbus doesn’t have its own “pizzazz” or cultural flair. It doesn’t have anything unique that makes it stand out (and no, OSU football doesn’t count because they are overrated). So any excuse that will get me out of Columbus... well, bring it on!
I could go on and on about how beautiful the island is, or how much I’d like to live by a body of water, or how much I want to own a jet ski... but I’m really here to talk about something that dawned on me today, and that is...
HOW MUCH I HATE CONTINENTAL BREAKFASTS.
Let’s think about this one thoroughly. I don’t understand why so many people think that the concept of a continental breakfast is amazing. I mean, it’s a bunch of dried up food that’s been sitting on a counter, being breathed on by a bunch of hotel guests. None of it is appealing! Yet.... I see it everywhere.
“COME STAY WITH US. FREE WI-FI. COMPLIMENTARY CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST!”
Oh boy!!! I get the option of eating cereal that will last about an hour before I start to get hungry again... or a cold bagel that will just sit in my stomach like a rock all morning! Gee, which should I choose?
I avoid continental breakfasts at all costs. I am willing to spend $15 on a brunch at a restaurant if it means I can avoid sour orange juice and cold whole grains. (Which is what we did, thank god).
I dunno, maybe I’m missing the big picture? Maybe I shouldn’t sound like a snobby asshole and just deal with the bagels and muffins. But you know what? If I’m on vacation, I want BACON. EGGS. PANCAKES. FRESHLY SQUEEZED ORANGE JUICE, DAMMIT. I WANT TO CLOG MY ARTERIES!!
And now, a random photo montage of my trip:

seals need love too
aww he's so cute when he's cold
self portrait
freezing my nippies off!

After Cory bought too many shots
View the rest on my flickr page.
Apr 13, 2009
Put in Bay, OH
Posted by
Amy
at
5:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Orange juice? What kind of fancy hotel did you stay at where they serve orange juice? I don't think my boss even knows what orange juice is so it will never been seen on our breakfast buffet.
We totally have to do this again... Next time, let's go when the waves are like 10 feet!
Post a Comment