Jan 9, 2009

Sick Day

Today didn’t really turn out like I had planned. Let’s start with the fact that I had to go to Urgent Care because I slipped and fell on my knee at work.

Oy.

Thanks to Ohio and its damn snow, the parking lot at work was still slushy from the snowfall this morning. My shoes decided to accumulate chunks of ice as I trekked through the employee lot, and as I made it inside the building to the second floor I went BOOM. My slippery shoe had touched the slick floor of the hallway and my left knee caught my fall.

So to not appear like a complete douchebag, I decided to tough it out and didn’t make a huge deal out of it. I had an ice pack in my lunch box (shut up, I have a lunch box! But it’s stylish because it’s Vera Bradley!) so I took that out and put it on my knee as I worked. I also popped some pain relievers from the first aide kit. Unfortunately that didn’t do much justice and I started to feel worse as the day went on.

Well, to make a boring story less boring, I left work early to get to Urgent Care before they closed. An x-ray was taken of my knee (lame), and the doctor saw me for a grand total of 20 seconds (even lamer). She was probably thinking, “What a wuss. Pop some Tylenol and get the hell out of here.”

And to make matters seem even douchier, I had to file an injury report since the incident happened on company property. And to up my level of douchebaggery, urgent care is going to file a claim through the workers’ compensation bureau instead of through my insurance. This all sounds fine and dandy, but I am really not trying to seek any money or compensation. I really love my company and I don’t need to be starting any problems!

Ugh.

So here I am, sitting on my couch and wishing my knee would stop throbbing. It is slowly turning a dark shade of blue and purple. I am not looking forward to how it’s going to look tomorrow. When I attempt to walk, I resemble the gimp of Frankenstein’s Igor. Remember that little dude? I especially look like him when I attempt to walk up the stairs. Sitting in a normal position is most painful, because it puts a bend on my knee, hence why sitting at work was exceptionally painful.

I guess I’m done whining for now. Maybe I’ll use this time to catch up on some reading. I am anxious to start Karyn Bosnak’s memoir, Save Karyn. Check out her blog, too!

3 comments:

Barrie said...

Oh, you poor thing. That sounds painful. I don't think you need to worry about the Workmen's Comp stuff. Don't companies have that to cover exactly the kind of thing that happened to you? Take care of yourself.

DaveG said...

How to Twitterfy your blog:

http://twitter.com/badges/blogger

It was amazingly easy - just a click of a button.

Sorry to hear about your knee. Don't worry about the workers comp claim making you look like a troublemaker - you're nothing compared to a pilot contract negotiation!

Anonymous said...

Wait, you have a lunchbox?