Nov 16, 2008

A Closet Nerd's Rambles

I was sitting around waiting for Desperate Housewives to start, when I witnessed the world’s most awesome commercial. It’s for Kota the life-like robotic Triceratops. Seriously, guys, if this thing had come out in 1990, I would have been all over it. This is quite possibly the coolest thing I have ever seen. I’m such a nerd, and I’ve always been awed by dinosaurs. Blame my Nerdy Science Dad, who always bought me dinosaur models and thick paleontology books when I was growing up (apparently he thought I was a boy and didn't want me to make any friends). I am so jealous of any kid who gets this toy. I mean, you can even ride it!! It’s like having your very own pet dinosaur minus the smelliness and potentially being impaled by its horns!

On another note that is somewhat related to dinosaurs, I’m going to start reading State of Fear in honor of the recently deceased Michael Crichton. If you’re unaware of this amazing author, he was a Harvard Med School grad who created the novels Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Disclosure, The Andromeda Strain, Congo, Airframe, and so on and so on. Not to mention he wrote and directed ER, and co-wrote Twister. Seriously, I’ve always wanted this man to be my Nerdy Science Dad #2. I adore him and am still in shock of his sudden death. So if you’ve got nothing better to do, pick up one of his novels.

This is a random, useless blog entry, but I really don’t have much else to say. Work has been going swimmingly and I really like it so far. I’ve been doing a lot of things on my own despite still having a mentor with me in the flight center. Just one more week with a mentor and then I’ll be released to work on my own—Thanksgiving weekend—the busiest time of year for NetJets. Score!

I’m back in Athens for 3 days. I have a doctor’s appointment tomorrow, which happens to be here, so I’m also taking advantage of being home to unwind and relax before it’s back to the city and work work work.

[novel photo from here. Toy photo from here]

0 comments: