Sep 17, 2008

I am officially an employed college graduate! Now I can buy more books!

September 17, 2008

After 5 days of sitting around being a fat blob, I finally heard the glorious words: “We want to offer you a position with us.”

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

I didn’t think I’d be hearing about my job interview for another few weeks. I was starting to feel a little mopey because I didn’t know what to do about finding a place to live in Columbus in a small amount of time. As I was clicking around and getting confused with RE/MAX’s website, my phone rang and the wonderful recruiter from NetJets was offering me the position I interviewed for! She tried to sound grim and serious, making me sweat for a little bit, but then she happily told me they’d like to offer me the job. I think by this point I went into cardiac arrest. My shakey hand grabbed a pen as I jotted down some info she was telling me regarding benefits, background checks, and my start date.

I called my dad to tell him the good news. He’s out of town right now on some painting/artist seminar. Apparently when you’re old and not working, you need to pick up a hobby. Luckily he’s pretty good at oil painting, and he’s been doing it for years (and even got me into it for a while, but it’s a hidden talent I don’t talk about). Well, I called him and said, “I got the job!” He immediately turns away from the phone and shouts “MY DAUGHTER GOT A JOB!” to everyone at the seminar. Hey, sweet, thanks.

If some of you didn’t know, the company is called NetJets and I used to intern with them for four months my senior year in college. It’s an amazing company and I’m really excited to be back. If you want to know more about it, go here: www.netjets.com and click on NetJets USA.

My position is called Flight Coordinator and it is with the Crew Support department. It’s always been my dream to work for an aviation company and now it’s finally all happening!

I will begin on October 13, which is under a month away. My incredibly fickle parents cannot decide if I should rent an apartment or purchase a home or condo. Honestly, this is getting a little ridiculous. Even though I’d be living alone, I obviously don’t have the financial means to support myself yet, thus they’ll be the ones who help me with the first few months of rent or a down payment for a home. There’re so many pros and cons to renting and being a homeowner, and I’m just really confused right now.

More on my house hunting woes as they come.
On to another note, it’s pretty sad when someone gets excited over a lousy 15% coupon for Barnes & Noble. That excited person would be me, and I get to use that lousy coupon this Friday! WOO!

I’ve finished two books since my most recent post, because let’s be blunt, I haven’t developed much of a life since waiting for this job offer to pop up. I feel like a ghost in this college town, and I’m ready to gather all my personal possessions and move.

But I digress.

Thanks to Megan and I’s “unofficial book club”, she recommended Jen Lancaster books (more like memoirs) to me and I’m hooked. I ordered her second installment, titled beautifully: Bright Lights, Big Ass. I can’t wait to open it!

The following is a list of some novels in my future reading line-up. These were all recommended by someone to me, so if you’re bored/unemployed/sick/under house arrest, then perhaps these will be of some entertainment:

1. Are You There Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler: I actually just finished this book today. Chelsea is hilarious, and her collection of personal stories are unfathomable. If bad language and constant jokes about midgets don’t offend you, then read this.

2. The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

3. The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

4. A Walk To Remember by Nicholas Sparks (yes, I want to see what all the hype is about)

5. Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

And novels that I have yet to buy and plan on reading very soon:

Cabin Pressure by Josh Wolk
Kisscut by Karin Slaughter (sequel to the “Grant County” series)
Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster (her third memoir)
Thin is the New Happy by Valerie Frankel
My Horizontal Life: A Collection of One Night Stands by Chelsea Handler

Sorry my affection for books isn’t very amusing, but hey, it’s better than smoking crack.

0 comments: