Jul 16, 2008

Grandpa's 84th & Hua Hin Beach

July 14
Yesterday we celebrated grandpa’s 84th birthday. Here in Thailand, the Thai people believe that it is good luck if you have lived to the older ages of 72, 84, 96. If you noticed, they’re in increments of 12. They basically refer to this as “finishing a cycle”, the cycle being 12 years. Most people in my family have celebrated their 72nd birthdays with many friends and family, which usually takes place in a rented out hotel convention/ball room. Other than being lots of food, the family puts on some entertainment, like singing, playing music, showing slide shows, and other stuff. My grandpa never got a 72nd celebration because he didn’t want one, but my family insisted that we celebrate his 84th because he’s really one of the last people of his friends that is still alive and healthy, therefore he’s pretty lucky...

We celebrated at the Montien Riverside Hotel in Bangkok. I’m not going to go into great detail, but you can look at my pictures on facebook. The room was decorated really nicely and could be confused for a wedding reception. Over 130 people came. My cousins Pat, Pete, and Put played music on the stage, as did my mom (on the piano). Many people went on the stage to talk about my grandpa and thanked him for being a great person. I got to meet my entire family, which is really large. Even my second cousins who live in Denmark (they’re half Danish and half Thai) were there. I got irritated many times when people kept asking me about what I’m doing with my life now that I’ve graduated college (answer: NOTHING), and I’m also really tired of having to explain what an aviation management degree entitles me (answer: nothing, again). So other than those little quirks, the party turned out well and I think my grandpa was happy to get to talk to a lot of people.

As for today, we left Bangkok around 11:30AM and headed to Hua Hin Beach (which literally translates to Rock Head...lol). Other than my mom and I, there is also my aunt, uncle, two great aunts, and their friend. They also brought their servants to cook for us. Geeze...

Once we got here, we stopped by a noodle shop and grabbed some lunch. The place was a total hole-in-the-wall, but those places always have the best food. After eating, we came straight to my great aunt’s condo. Mom and I went to walk on the beach for a little bit after we got settled in and I almost stepped on a crab! There are tons of little crabby holes everywhere, and as we were walking, a crab poked its head out. I screamed because it scared the hell out of me, and then it scurried back in its home. I stood around and waited for it to come back out. It did, and then I screamed, so it went back in. I left after that...

Well it’s nice to be back here (the condo in Hua Hin, I mean). I think the last time I was here was when I was 11. I think tonight we’re going to play some poker, then tomorrow check out some shopping and hopefully walk around the outdoor night market. Those are always really fun.

This condo is really nice too. I mean, it’s older, but it’s spacious and very well furnished. It has 2 regular bedrooms, 2 baths, a full kitchen with dining room, living room, two balconies, and an attached suite that has a mini kitchen. Anyways.... guess I’ll go be social now.

0 comments: